Converting 12 and 24 hour time

Today in maths our learning intention was to convert between 12 and 24 hour time.

We worked through some examples and identified that to be successful we needed to be able to:

• write 24 hour time with numbers only
  • write an a.m. time as between 0000 to 1159
  • write a p.m. time as between 1200 to 2359
  • add 12 to the p.m. hours
  • write 0000 to 1159 as an a.m. time
  • write 1200 to 2359 as a p.m. time
  • subtract 1200 from 1300 to 2359 to find the p.m hours

We then worked together with some time dominoes to put them in order.

What was new learning for you today?

How do you think having a learning intention helps your learning?

What difference did success criteria make to your learning?

What was your favourite part of the lesson?

Why do we need to learn about converting time?

12 thoughts on “Converting 12 and 24 hour time

1. Hi everyone,
    My learnings are to make 12 hr time to 24 hr time.
    Learning intentions are great it is like you have goal to complete .my favourite part of the lesson was that we got to play time games instead of getting works sheets . You need to learn time because when you get older some work places use time and when your traveling around the world because of the time difrent time zones

2. Hi everyone
    Today we learnt about time what I learnt was that even though I did the proper Australian way I learnt that Americans would do 17:45.
    I think learning intentions help because there may be another learning in there that the teacher didn’t want you to learn. Learning intentions keep you on track. The success criteria helped me know that I was right. My favourite part was when we moved into our groups and did the game. We need to learn about time conversion so if we have a job were you need to know 24 hr time to get the job then you would be applicable.

3. Hello Mrs Gage, here is the questions you wanted answered:
    To convert and write 24 h our time and 12 hour time correctly.

Having a learning intention helps me work towards my goal and be more successful.

The success criteria helped me understand what I’m doing wrong or right in a way that I understand better.

My favourite part of the lesson was playing with the dominoes cards and it is also helping my learning!

So if in any cases like going to an airport they use 24hr time.

From Lorenzo

4. Hi Bloggers,
    My NEW learnings today was using zero’s to use as 12 when its am.
    A learning intention makes me work better because I want to achieve that goal to a success to the next level of learning.
    It made me and my learning better knowledge of time that we were working with.
    My FAVOURITE part of the lesson was when my group of 5 went constantly back to our teacher because we had finished the activity.
    I think hat we need to convert time is because you might go to a country and they had a time difference of 4 hours you would need to convert time to see what time it is in the other country and how long it will take to get back and what time it might be.
    Those are the answers to the questions.
    Trinity

5. Hello everyone,
    I think that having a learning intention helps my learning because it is like setting a goal for yourself to achieve in that session. My favourite part of the lesson was when we got into groups of 5 and we played with the domino cards and matched them up.the reason why we need to learn about converting time is because, if you are in a place with a 24 hour clock(like a digital clock), if you don’t know about converting times, you will not be able to read the time.

Holly2

6. Hello Bloggers,

Today we worked on converting 12 and 24 hour times….

The new things that I learnt was that 0000 is 12:00am in 24 hour time.

I think that having a learning intention helps my learning becuase then I have something to work towards to during the lesson.

I believe that having a success criteria impacts me in my learning becuase then you have a goal you will either achieve or not. Then you will be able to see whether you did or did not meet the success criteria so that you can work more or move on from the original learning intention.

My favourite part of the session was when the whole class got involved to do the dominoe clock game.

We need to learn to convert 24- 12 hour time because later on in life if we need to apply that method we will be able to do that easily.

Emily1

7. Hi everyone,
    My learnings are how to play the domino game and how to change the 24hour time and the 12 hour time.
    I think having a learning intention helps me to learn because I have a goal to set and to complete.
    My favourite part of the lesson was to work with a group and to help each other to understand how to do it.
    We need to learn how to convert time because if you go to another country you know what the time is.
    From kayla.

8. Hello everyone,
    I think that having a learning intention helps my learning because it is like setting a goal for yourself to achieve in that session. My favourite part of the lesson was when we got into groups of 5 and we played with the domino cards and matched them up. The reason why we need to learn about converting time is because, if you are in a place with a 24 hour clock(like a digital clock), if you don’t know about converting times, you will not be able to read the time.

Holly2

9. Hi I’m Lawrence,
    Today my new Learning was that in 24 hr time you don’t put dots or brackets.

Having a Learning Intention helps me because then I know what I have to do and accomplish in this certain lesson.

The Succes Criteria Made a Difference because now I know what you have to do to tell 24 hr time.

My Favourite Part of the lesson what’s when we were matching the times in 12 and 24 hr time.

We Need to Learn about converting money because in life we might have jobs that involve this.

10. Hi everyone,
    Today in maths I learnt how to write time in 24 hours and 12 hours. Having learning intensions helps my learning because there’s a goal I need to achieve. My favourite part of the lesson is when I have learnt something. We need to learn about converting time because you will need to learn how to tell the time. The success criteria makes a difference to me because it helps me see whether I have been successful or not during the lesson.
    Connie

11. Hello 5/6 SG,
    5SK are looking at 24 hour time also today. Are you following the C2C Units? I will send our students your way to see what you have learned about this math concept. Have a great day. 🙂